Thursday, October 16, 2008

Cloth-ing

After being busy with the presidential debates last night and errands earlier in the week, tonight became laundry night. When I opened the washer to transfer clothes to the dryer I quickly noticed the tell tale signs of a stowaway tissue gone through the wash. Argh! As I transferred many of the items I normally don't put in the dryer (because they don't take long to dry and I have space to air dry them) into the dryer to remove minuscule tissue pieces, I thought about how this was only an issue because I've become so accustom to handkerchiefs in the last year. I just accidentally forgot one at home today and so I had to resort to a paper tissue, which was left in my pocket. Then I decided I would make a post about the top reasons to use handkerchiefs instead of paper tissues.

First off: I have issues sewing with sewing machines. I am otherwise pretty good with my hands and even sew items by hand, but sewing machines and I don't mesh well, unless you're a fan of uneven stitches, crazy lines and incorrect thread tension. So I had been planning to ask my mom to help me make some napkins when I went home for Christmas last year. I was surprised when my mom told me she wouldn't help me as she normally takes up any opportunity to sew items. It was because she had already stashed away some cloth napkins and handkerchiefs from sales and family members. I was more than thrilled and took my cloth towers of napkins and handkerchiefs home.

I also have a friend who practices many earth friendly behaviors such as not even having paper towels in the home. While this was admirable, I was always a bit confused about what to do when I needed a napkin. I knew there were cloth towels around, but I had no idea where. I think most of the time her dogs ended up licking up any evidence of my clumsiness from the floor before I found the towels.

Inspired by this reusable handkerchief box and my confusion at my friends' house, I made my own reusable napkin box!



It now hangs under my kitchen counter in the holes drilled by some previous apartment tenant. It makes the cloth napkins easily accessible to everyone. I also have a place to hang up "gently used" napkins for later use to pick up quick messes. The box is made from recycled materials (cardboard, tons of papers) and glue. The napkins are folded like tissues and can be pulled out the same way. I have plans for a tissue box later on.

This box has been pretty instrumental in getting myself to regularly use cloth napkins as it allowed me to store my napkins in a place that was easier to get to than paper towels or paper napkins and left my limited counter space open. Plus it was awesomely fun and makes everyone feel like a kid again as you yank out napkin after napkin only to have it replaced by a new one (and no one is going to yell at you for taking more than your needed share).



Reasons to Use Fabric Tissues/Napkins instead of Paper (in no particular order)
-Less trash/waste created
-You never have to worry about accidentally shredding tissues in the wash
-They don't make your nose raw and red like tissues
-They won't shred apart in your hand when wet or when blowing your nose
-You never have to worry about trying to find tissues, napkins or paper towels
-You don't have to worry about buying new ones all of the time. Just drop them in with your other laundry and you're set.
-They can be obtained with a relatively small up front cost. Ask around (the handkerchiefs I got from a family member had been sitting in a box, never used for probably at least 40 years), look at thrift stores and garage sales, check out sites online. If you have old soft cloth (flannel) you can simply cut it up and hem the edges for better wear.
-Whatever your style is, you can probably find some handkerchief or cloth napkin for you. Vintage, organic, brand new, white, colored, plain, decorated, handmade. Just not disposable.
-Cloth napkins are useful to carry fruit and other foods to work and school. You also already have a napkin for yourself and in some instances can be used as a plate/eating surface.

I'd recommend having at least 1 handkerchief per a day in a laundry cycle, depending on your own needs. I usually can get away with fewer napkins. Having a couple of extras also helps for times when you have others over at your home or when experiencing allergies. Keeping random rags around can help take up some of the slack as well. I still keep a roll of paper towels around for some emergencies, but I go through about one small roll in a few months. I never buy paper napkins or tissues.

No comments: