Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Goode Family?

After reading a few short articles online, I decided to make an effort to watch the premier of "The Goode Family" tonight, the new animated tv show from Mike Judge about a family trying incredibly hard to be, well, "good" and make the correct decisions about social, political and environmental issues. They are a family of vegans with a hybrid car and an adopted, South African son.

I have to admit I have a soft spot in my heart for "King of the Hill" as it captures some aspects of living in Texas I find difficult to explain to people that never lived there. It reminds me of things I don't experience everyday anymore. I knew some info about this new show beforehand, so I knew it might not hit me the same way.

With that said, the show was a little much at moments. At times I got the impression that they were trying to make fun of how much information there is to gather when trying to make an informed decision (should you buy the organic, organic local, organic local free trade or conventional apples? The only thing different is the sign and price!) At the same time I think the extreme over-the-topness at moments gives almost everyone a chance to laugh, even if you are deeply embedded in the green/socially correct/etc movements. Like the vegan dog that is obsessed with chasing after every living animal in the neighborhood. Since when does a vegan dog know he should ignore his instincts to chase & eat animals?

There is more to think about beyond that though, which of course doesn't really come across in this show. This is the first episode however, which means the characters are still not developed (I think back to the first episode of the few show I really like and they all progressed dramatically after that point.) I am happy that this sort of topic has made it to a tv show on ABC. Maybe this is the way to get the idea through to more people? I wonder how long a show like this could last on tv considering the characters are so narrowly defined thus far.

I plan on trying to catch the show a couple more times at least before I make a final decision (and before the digital tv switch over - I can't get ABC with my converter box!) It's a small piece of popular culture that maybe I can talk with other people about. As the show stands right now, it makes environmentalism, being socially aware and other things out to be some overwhelming decision without an underlying motivation (then again, I think many people have different motivations and as a result take these decisions to different degrees). If this show opens a dialog with people that normally wouldn't talk about these things, I see that as a positive thing.

No comments: