Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Close Encounters of the Unwanted Kind

Last night while walking in Pasadena, one of my coworkers was struck by a car. She is alive, but she's currently in the hospital, unconscious. She's one of my few walking pals at work (so many other people will whine and complain about the idea of walking a full mile during lunch and then go work out in a gym later on) and just a couple of weeks ago she finally sold her car.

Although there have been countless news stories recently of people being hit by cars and buses, bikers being struck and killed, her story, I suppose, wasn't sensational enough (only 1 person involved, she wasn't killed on site and there wasn't a bus involved) to make it to any of these avenues. It makes me pause and think a bit more about the true number of people getting injured in these types of accidents every day in LA, California, U.S. and the world. It's mindblowing. Then add on top of that the number of people being killed in offhand ways by cars, such as through air pollution that increases cardiovascular issues, and it's amazing that cars are used as frequently as they are.

From what I've read, there are things that car makers can do to make vehicles less harmful to pedestrians in accidents, but these are not standards or frequent.

As someone that has been walking all around Los Angeles for miles nearly every day for the past 4 to 5 years, I've had my fair share of "almost" accidents. I have walked through some signals so many times that I know when they will change when I hit the buttons, I know which ones have left turns, that people frequently blow through and to always be super careful next to the freeway and certain driveways that people simply can't see around well. I've been with another coworker when we both crossed the street, me in front, only to have a car get close enough to touch his body, but not to injure him. We had a crossing signal and there were no other cars in the intersection. The driver saw me, but somehow completely missed him. Another time a car got close enough for my hand to touch the hood when I instinctively stuck out my hand as the car turned a corner, completely ignoring me. I've almost been hit while on my bike as well and I find myself trying to not bike during certain hours when I know more cars are around. I don't like wearing a helmet, but I do it and have embroidered reflective patches for my bag.

I have already been frustrated with the number of accidents that have been popping up in the news. As a pedestrian and bicyclist I know that more needs to be done to both encourage these forms of transportation as well as make it more of a pleasant experience. New York has figured that out recently. Sometimes the things done here in LA are enough to drive me mad.

I want things to be better for myself. I want others to be able to walk as well. I want people to feel safe doing this perfectly natural thing, walking. It wasn't until I spent a large amount of time outside of a car that I realized how threatening some drivers and cars can be. As people slowly inch toward you in their car, anxious for you to get out of the way, it can be alarming. You must watch drivers because they can easily never look in your direction and just drive, completely unaware because they are just looking for cars. Despite laws on the books that make it illegal for people to hold their cell phone and talk, an extremely large number of people do this. Once you pay attention to cars with missing headlights and dead street lamps, you realize these things are not as rare as one might hope.

I do not know what I will do, but this has put a fire under my ass to want to do more. This morning I thought about the risk I take as a pedestrian every day, walking past the 101 freeway entrance across from Universal Studios and today I find out one of my coworkers and friend has been hurt in exactly this way. The things done to make Los Angeles a more walkable and bikeable city are not complete and viewed by the big picture. Major streets live Ventura Blvd don't even have sidewalks, bike lanes lead to no where. Any suggestions are welcomed.

No comments: